[Fourlanders] Fw: ...a 55-mile Wi-Fi connection

Jim Worsham wa4kxy at bellsouth.net
Thu Aug 5 22:21:47 EDT 2004

I was thinking of doing this sometime in the Spring/Summer of next year.
Maybe a couple of days before the June contest since we will be in NC
anyway.  I was thinking of something like Mile High to Roan or Mile High to
Mitchell.  I believe both of those paths should be around 100 miles give or
take.  Of course we need to check the path and verify that there are no
obstructions and that we have a near optical (line of sight) path.  I
believe that Robin has some software that can do that for us.  Equipment
wise I believe we already have a good bit of what we need.  We may need to
come up with another antenna and another PA.  One idea I had is to contact
Steve at DEMI and tell him what we are doing.  He might be willing to loan
us what we need just for the publicity and bragging rights.  Kind of like
what Icom, Yaesu, etc. do for the big DXpeditions.  The only thing I am not
sure about is how do we verify this?  It will need to be verified by some
independent party.  Maybe the ARRL?  Anyway, I don't want to spend a whole
lot of time on this now.  We need to stay focused on efforts for the
September contest.  I just wanted to get folks thinking about this.  I am
sure we could beat this record and I think it would be cool to have W4NH in
the record books for something like this.

73
Jim W4KXY