[Fourlanders] Internet at Mile High

Paul Yeager w4ski at arrl.net
Mon Mar 8 20:33:28 EST 2004

Guys:

I finally made the site visit... and it's a long drive up there....
fortunately, the road is paved.

The coordinates are a bit rough...  my GPS that works reliably only
displays whole seconds.  Here are the coordinates (WGS84)

N4KEG Eagle's Nest (possible relay site):
	35 29' 59" N
	83 02' 32" W

W4SKI Home (one link terminal)
	35 29' 25" N
	82 58' 35" W

I did not climb the tower (Rohn 25), which is roughly 36 feet tall, and has
an 8-bay UHF dipole array mounted atop it.  The top of the tower is likely
just a bit higher (10-20 ft) than the highest point on Eagle's nest, which
would be at or near the end of the road that passes the first location
above.  From a spot a little bit down the hill on the Waynesville side, I
was able to identify some landmarks near my house, but was not able to
identify my house.  It would appear that any shot from Eagle's Nest to my
house will have to pass through some trees.

Unfortunately, DSL service is not available at the N4KEG location.  Not
sure about cable.

By the way, N4KEG is  going to be in town Thursday through Sunday, which
would be a GREAT time to hang antennas on the tower, if we thought that
might work.

Keep in touch!

Paul W4SKI