[Fourlanders] June Contest Results Posted

Brian McCarthy rfacres at akorn.net
Wed Nov 3 00:18:01 EST 2004

Hmmm,

You got me wondering a bit too. If I have all the particulars correct:
W9ICE - EN60vb, K8GP - FM08fq, W4NH - EM85jm, AA4ZZ - EM96df;

from W9ICE to K8GP is 102 degrees & 370 miles;
from W9ICE to AA4ZZ  is 136 degrees & 361 miles;
from W4NH to K8GP is 46 degrees & 300 miles;
from W4NH to AA4ZZ is 60 degrees & 97 miles;
from W9ICE to W4NH is 152 degrees & 354 miles.

Reflecting on working K8GP from W4NH, it is never a problem to work them
on any of the lower 4 bands. We have also worked them on some of the
microwave bands. AA4ZZ's signal is, by comparison, a brutal beacon in
about the same direction. On 222 working W9ICE has often felt like
bordering on ESP signal levels. There has been a light, airy, flutter to
the signal that is reminicent of HF polar flutter. I suspect, without
looking at the topo' maps that it is partly a bit of knife edge
diffraction or similar off of a nearfield ridgeline combined with
thermal affects since we seem to work you on Sunday afternoon's.

You might want to add W9ICE to the N2MH RoveSite Locator to make it
easier for rovers to plan you into their schedules and databases. See:
http://www.intac.com/~mherson/rovesite.htm

On the otherhand, we would love for you to contest with us at W4NH again.

Brian
NX9O