[Fourlanders] Banning The Use Of 144.200 MHz During Contests

Rogers, Ron RR124640 at ncr.com
Wed Jun 21 09:47:08 EDT 2006

I'm replying through the 4-Landers reflector so we can have a "family
discussion" about this.......and possibly stimulate suggestions for
other contest rules that might be adjusted.

I agree with Brian's comments. And, I personally don't understand the
144.200 problem I keep hearing bitching about. Whether there is a
contest or not I hear "mis-use abuse" on all the VHF calling frequencies
I monitor when in the shack.

I wonder who is complaining and what US area this may be coming from ?
Is there something special about 144.200 in other parts of the country
we don't understand ? Is it someone not in the contest, but asking that
the calling frequency be left open so they can sit there and listen the
entire contest without being disturbed by contesters ?

Everytime I start to see the "whiners" crank up after a contest calling
for the banning of 144.200 during a contest it brings all sorts
questions to mind that expose the reality that you can't legislate a
cure that is going to please everyone anyhow.

Probably the best thing to focus on is more widespread education about
using ALL of our VHF calling frequencies, contest or no contest. It
seems that most newer operators today don't even understand what a
"calling" frequency is. Or, what the proper protocol is when using a
calling frequency.

Most people I hear using 50.125 or 144.200 call CQ, make a contact, AND
THEN JUST SIT THERE AND BS FOR AN HOUR ANYHOW!! No one QSYs up 10 or 20.
They think the calling frequency is where you go to find someone to talk
to .......and stay there. The recent 6 meter openings during the last
month prove that operators across the nation don't know how to use
50.125 ......if they do, they just camp there and monopolize the
frequency anyhow.

Or.....what about someone who wants 144.200 protected during a contest
but then finds themselves close to a station like W4NH with a 15 KW ERP
on 144.225 Mhz during a contest. Is this going to leave 144.200 free of
interference for this other station ? I don't think so.

Once you "ban" a frequency, there is a psychological phenomenon that
sets in with some operators who think that 144.200 must be more
important than they thought about before. So they then tend to "hug" the
frequency even more, especially during slack times when the band appears
dead during a contest.

What if 144.250 was declared the North American calling frequency during
a contest ?? Would that suck sufficient people away from 144.200 because
everyone would then think 144.250 is the magical frequency to hang
around?

I completely understand the rule change that banned 146.52 FM many years
ago. That is a portion of the 2 meter spectrum that is "channelized".
But 144.200 is in a different use portion of the band.

But, what about the traditional North American CW calling frequency
144.100 ?  Are you going to discriminate and only ban 144.200 ?

I have a fundamental problem with making rules that can't be enforced,
still leave room for debate, or still do not completely remedy the
"situation". If you outlaw 144.200 does that mean 144.201 is okay to use
? So now you get into a debate about "buffer" zones around that banned
frequency.

Or what about the casual operator guy who uses a transverter who's mixer
oscillator is off by .005 MHz on the low side, but the dial on his low
band rig reads out 28.205 so he "thinks" he is operating on 144.205,
when in reality he's actually smack dab right there on 144.200.

I still would like to understand the reason(s) this particular topic has
actually surfaced.

If someone want's to fix something, let's talk about "Grid Circling" by
rovers that are only out for point count and not the "sport" of roving.
They seem to be able to amass millions of points using less equipment
and still set records that even mountain toppers like us can't come
close to.  (now THERE is a debate topic !)

Ok......enough rambling

Ron
WW8RR