[Fourlanders] Meeting minutes 3-11-06

Bob Lear k4sz at alltel.net
Tue Mar 21 22:36:10 EST 2006

Meeting Minutes - SVHFS Conference Committee  3/11/06

Held at the QTH of Shirley and Guy Titman W4NUS in Charlotte
Thanks to Shirley and Guy for the food and hospitality

Present at the meeting:

President Ott Fiebel W4WSR, Secretary Bob Lear K4SZ, Conference Chairman
Jack Jackson W4EFZ, Program Chairman Jim Worsham W4KXY, Director Charles
Osborne K4CSO and Director Dexter McIntyre W4DEX with several other
friends lurking in the background after the Charlotte Hamfest.

ANTENNA RANGE:  Ott reported that Al WA0HQQ has no issues.  Equipment
and volunteers are lined up.  K4SZ will deliver standard antennas,
source LP and a tower trailer to the conference.

NOISE FIGURE:  Jack is covering this.  There will be equipment available
at the conference.  There have been some issues and he is handling.

CHAIRMAN/FACILITIES:  Jack reported that there are no problems.  The
space is OK and has been checked out.  Ben W4SC is helping with the
choice of banquet fare.  We had confirmation that ARRL President Joel
Harrison W5ZN will be attending and will be the Friday Luncheon
Speaker.  There was discussion about vendor space also.

PRIZES:  Jack reporting for Marc.  Not many prizes are presently in
hand.  After consultation with John W4ZPG, Jack will contact Marc and
encourage him to make more follow up phone calls (as John has always
recommended as part of the process).  He is also going to ask Jimmy Long
W4ZRZ to help make some of the calls.

K4UHF AWARD:  Ott presently has four nominees.  There was some general
discussion about the award philosophy.  K4SZ will order the plaque when
Ott has completed the vote polling and bring it to the conference.

FAMILY PROGRAM:  There was some discussion about another identifying
name for the program.  Companion Activities was suggested amid much
uproar.  Other suggestions are requested.  The program this year will
consist of possible sites to visit around the Greenville area and will
be listed on the web site and available in the lobby at the conference
for those interested.  It will be self-directed.

TECHNICAL PROGRAM:  Jim went over the program and schedule and
entertained comments and suggestions.  The program has come together and
is complete.  There are a couple of back-ups being prepared in case of a
no-show.  There was also talk about placing the PowerPoint presentations
on the web after the conference.  This will be discussed at the annual
meeting at the conference.  It was decided to order 150 proceedings this
year and not try to sell them as much after the conference since we've
had problems finding a volunteer to take on that responsibility.  We
will take some to Dayton and the Weak-Signal Banquet there where they do
sell well.

AUCTION:  Bob will contact Ray about being Auctioneer again.  Publicity
Chairman John Logsdon K2STO and WebMaster Greg Robinson KB4NVD will be
contacted about publicizing the auction and also the need for
donations.  (K4SZ e-mailed them on 3/17)

MISCSLLANEOUS:  There was some discussion about our relationship with
other VHF societies, their conferences and members.

The meeting was adjourned and we were all stuffed with Pizza.  Thanks
again to Shirley and Guy for hosting our meeting for the past two years
in conjunction with their post Charlotte Hamfest VHFers get-together.

Resptfully Submitted, Bob Lear K4SZ, SVHFS Secretary