[Fourlanders] W4NH VHF Sweepstakes

Bob Lear w4zst at windstream.net
Sun Dec 28 23:27:12 EST 2008

We are still go for the contest.  It looks like we have enough operators
interested and can have some fun at it.

I have heard from the following as to participation:
Jim W4KXY, Scott NN4W, Ron WW8RR, Brian NX9O, Steve K4RF, Bill KI4US,
Tom KI4WOU, Kos N4NIA, Kim WG8S, Ivan K4VJM and Jeff W0ONR.

Jim is going to bring the 6m station, Scott will bring 2m, Brian said he
wants to participate and currently we are planning on him bringing the
222 station and I will set up the 432 station. I have my usual 432
contest station available and had it set up for the fall sprints at the
new building.  If Brian is unable to join us, I can also set up a 222
station same as we used for the September contest.

This will make things easiest for Ron.  Ron will try to join us to
operate depending on how he feels the week of the contest.  He is still
recuperating from the hand injury and is in (painful) physical therapy
now.  We hope it works out that he will be able to come and visit and
operate some and not have to do anything else.

I also have enough tower trailers available so none need to be brought
up.  I will start setting them up when I have time over the next two
weeks so that they will be ready.  I will need help with the 6m tower,
but the others I can do by myself.  I have set them up at home before to
do the sprints in years past.

Steve has said he wants to bring the motorhome and can probably put an
extra person up for sleeping.  Kos is also planning to bring his camper
and has room for more to sleep and Scott also has either his trailer or
camper for sleeping and may also be able to accommodate another.  You
guys let me know how many you can add so I can plan a spot for everyone
who needs one. I will have two bedrooms available in the house, each
with a single bed and some minimal heat available there.  There is also
a functioning bathroom in the house.  The steel building has power
available, but no heat and only portable lighting right now and probably
not any changes before the contest.  If it is cold outside, it is cold
in the building as it is 1800 sq ft and no heat.  Some folks live close
enough to go back and forth anyway, so I think we will probably be OK on
accommodations for everyone that needs it.  Those who are planning to
stay overnight Saturday night let me know so we can work everything out
and only bring enough rolling stock to take care of what we need.

Haven't yet thought about food, but I will talk to Jeff about
possibilities there.

I think we won't have any problem operating the four stations in Great
White as usual.  We can put a small space heater in if the amps don't
keep us warm enough.  Maybe we'll be lucky and it won't be bitter cold
for that weekend.  Think positive.

I can also supply some power from the building via extension cords for
the campers to have some heat.  I don't have 'full hook-ups' though!!

Some suggested that we set up early and I'm all for that.  It looks like
the weather will be pretty good this week and this coming weekend and
I'll see if Mac can bring Great White over and get it set in place and I
can also set up my station inside.  Anyone who wants to come up when
they have time, just let me know and we'll make plans.  The next two
weekends are open for me and I'm around during the week also of course.
  I have no New Years Eve or Day plans other than working on moving or
stuff for the contest.  If we put gear in the trailer, I'll leave a
small heater inside to keep the temperature and humidity stable.

I don't know for sure what my internet status will be, but I hope to
have my phone service and internet there before the contest.  If someone
can bring a laptop and card for that for backup, that would be great.
I'll keep you apprised of the situation.

Probably haven't covered everything, let me know if there's something
else we need to cover.

Looking forward to the contest.

Bob