[Fourlanders] Great Tropo Tonight

Jim Worsham wa4kxy at bellsouth.net
Sun Nov 15 00:54:29 PST 2009

The tropo was unbelievable tonight.  I worked three log pages worth of
stations on 144 and 432 MHz.  Best DX was Bill, W3XO/5 in EM00 on 144 and
432 MHz.  WB4SLM in EM81 worked W3XO/5 on all bands from 50 through 2304
MHz.  WB4SLM said that Bill was very strong on all the bands.  That is a
distance of almost 1,000 miles.  My most interesting contact was with a guy
in EM60 on 432.  I worked him on 144 MHz and asked him if he could go to
432.  He said that he didn't have an antenna for that band and jokingly said
that maybe he could work me from his car.  You guessed it, I convinced him
to try and I worked him on 432 with him using the vertical on his car!
Unbelievable!  This should be going on through the night and into the
morning so get on in the AM.

It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart
you are.  If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.

Richard P. Feynman