[Fourlanders] Sept 09 K4ESA contest report

Bob Mantell k4esa at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 18 19:58:55 PDT 2009

Due to work travel I had not been on 6 meters or up in several weeks, and had a 7:00 am Sunday morning  flight for 6 days in Phoenix.   I found out at 2:00pm when I got home the 2 meter yagi had water in the coax??  Found the drain holes were blocked on the matching box.  opened them up, drained the box, used the spare coax, finally getting on the air at 2:30.

I was able to work the 6 and 2 meter "Never Hungry" stations, and listened to the 432 guys with my new preamp. I called a few different times, and got their attn a couple of times, but never did get a good contact.

High point was working a EM63 station on 223.500 FM with 25 watts and the 5 element yagi horizontal.   I had my 900 rig on 927.5000 set up for FM simplex with the 15 element yagi, but was not able to work anyone not on a repeater.  Working on a rig that will do 902 FM simplex

Rotor on 6 and 2 yagis stated acting up about time the NASCAR race started so I packed it in after only 6 hours on the air, with 42 contacts, 17 to 9 grids on both 6 and 2, 7  to 5 grids on 432 and 3/2 on 223.5 FM

This weekend all the yagis are coming down to ready them for installation on the new tower early next month, if my work schedule frees up some time.

73 de Bob,

 K4ESA EM74qc

Bob Mantell
k4esa at yahoo.com