[Fourlanders] Contest update latest

Bob Lear w4zst at windstream.net
Tue Jan 19 18:52:34 PST 2010

The workday on Saturday went well.  Ron WW8RR, Scott NN4W, Tom K4TJD,
Brian NX9O, Jim W4KXY and myself were on hand.  We got the 6m and 2m
beams in the air before it started raining.  The stations were then set
up in the ham shack and it looks pretty good.  I think we have a good
layout for the contest.  Ron brought the trailer for 432.

Since then I have gotten the 432 trailer set-up and the antennas in the
air also.  The 432 omni's are also up and working.  I have run the
feedlines for all the antennas inside now and have checked them.  Also
completed the microwave station reassembly and testing today.  Hearing
beacons on all bands from 6 thru 2304.

One thing needed to complete setup is the second 6m HO loop which Kos is
bringing Saturday and about a 20-25' UHF-UHF RG8 type feedline for them.
  I don't have one in my inventory.  If someone can bring that we will
be able to get them set up.

Ron, we also need a cable for your Omni/Beam 432 relay box.  It is
installed but I didn't see the control cable.

Otherwise, that's it for the contest equipment.

Other contest news:  Sherman W4ATL, Jim WE8W and Ivan K4VJM are also
planning to come and operate.  Sherman will stay Saturday night too.

Food:  Good news here too.  Jeff has recuperated from a couple of broken
ribs recently and will cook the two evening meals for us.  Kos has
offered again to do breakfast on Sunday morning.  So we need some input
on who will be here for what meals.  I think we'll just get someone to
go to town and bring lunch back to everyone on Sunday.  Then all the
meals are covered.  For Saturday, stop and get yourselves something on
the way.

The folks signed up to spend the night are:  Brian NX9O, Kim WG8S, Kos
N4NIA, Sherman W4ATL, myself and possibly Jim W4KXY.  That takes care of
all the available beds too.  Jim has a company dinner to attend Saturday
night and will have to leave for that and may just spend the night at
home since he will have to go to downtown Atlanta for the dinner.

So those five (or six) are expected for breakfast and if any others want
to join us for breakfast, then let me know ASAP so I can get a count to
Kos for that.

For the Saturday and Sunday evening meals most everyone will probably be
here for them, but let me know so I can get a count to Jeff for them.  I
know Jim will miss Saturday dinner and Sherman will miss Sunday as he
said he will leave before then.  Everyone else, let me know your plans.
It looks like ten for each meal right now.

That's it and the weather Saturday looks good right now, but Sunday
there is a possibility of rain, so we'll have to wait and see.

This should be the last update before the contest.

See you Saturday, Bob