[Fourlanders] Funcube Dongle

Bob Lear w4zst at windstream.net
Thu Feb 2 18:38:27 PST 2012

I have Jim's Funcube Dongle here and am experimenting with it on his
contesting computer which is still here.  It is a 64-1700 MHz SDR
receiver the size of a thumb drive.  Connects to a USB port for power
and I/Q out to the software and has an SMA connector for an antenna.
Google it if you haven't seen it or heard of it.  Also see
http://www.w1ghz.org/small_proj/small_proj.htm to see why we want it.

Well, I got it put in this afternoon, downloaded the software and
basically just followed the directions on the web page.  I can receive
the 144, 222 & 432 beacons with it, using the 6m beam!!  There are no
other antennas up right now.  You can see the beacons on the spectral
display and/or waterfall and demodulate them and copy the CW thru the
computer soundcard.  I also listened to a couple of FM broadcast
stations, but they don't show up well on the spectral display.  So far,
I was just using SpectraVue.  I will probably download one or two of the
other programs and test them with it too.

I wish there were some non-FM signals that I could look at like we would
see during a contest, but not much on above 64 MHz I guess.  Wish I
could look at 20m CW to see what it really does.  I might try the
aircraft band too for AM signals.

Anyway, I will report some more when I do a little more with it.  If
anyone decides to order one for themselves, please let me know as I
would like to get one too and I don't have PayPal, and maybe you could
get one for me too.

Jim, the filters for the interface board arrived today.  The only parts
I am short are the 4N33 opto-isolators to get mine built.

Bob