[Fourlanders] Today's workday for W4NH

Bob Lear w4zst at windstream.net
Wed Jan 4 17:37:37 EST 2017

Well we had a good turnout and got the outside work done.  Thanks to
Johnny K4SQC, Sherman W4ATL and Bill KI4US for coming up.  Jack K5FSE
had to cancel as they had appliances being delivered today.

We leveled the 6m trailer and assembled the 6m beams.  We got the 6m
beams and omni's up in the air and tested.  Copying beacons and
Stack-match box and rotator working OK.  No contacts.  Johnny was also
working with the Flex 6500 for the 6m station.  It will be interesting
to try out this new radio for the contest.  BTW, I'm pretty sure that
with Ray's help, we've got the 6m Commander amp problem fixed.  Tested
good last night but I'm going to run it some more too, just to make
sure.  I'll send a separate report on the amp.

We put the 2m omni's up and the remote relay to switch between the beams
and the omni's.  The beams were already up from the Fall sprints right
after the September contest.  Connected to a radio and copied beacons so
the 2m antennas are ready for Kos to bring the 2m station for the contest.

We took down the pair of 432 antennas I had up for the sprints and nets
and put the 222 beams back up in their place.  Also put the 222 FM beam
on the mast for the contest.  These antennas also tested with beacons,
etc.  The 222 station is mostly set up with only a little work on my
part to have it ready for the contest.

So three bands of contest antennas up and ready.  Just waiting for Ron
to come up with his trailer and station to get 432 on the air for the
contest.

I don't think we will need another antenna workday but I will let you
know when Ron comes up for putting up 432 and again, if anyone wants to
come help they would be welcome.

Johnny started up his 2m EME station and set it up to track the Space
Station.  We listened in on an ARISS contact between one of the
Astronauts and a school in Gadsden AL.  Johnny is the SE area
coordinator for ARISS contacts.  He checked after the contact with the
operator in AL and the school teacher.  Apparently there were over 1000
students listening in from three different schools and the activity was
covered by three TV stations.  Good Ham Radio publicity for sure.  We
copied the down link for the entire pass. Of course, we couldn't hear
the uplink part of the QSO.  First time I'd heard the space station
myself.  Good full-quieting FM copy here.

On track for the contest coming up on the 21st and 22nd.

73, Bob