[Fourlanders] Fourlanders contest update

Bob Lear w4zst at windstream.net
Tue Jan 7 22:34:01 EST 2020

Been working on getting contest stuff ready here at the shack and
thought I'd send an update.

I've had a visit from a new ham in the area and he is interested in VHF
weak signal work and came to help with the 2m antenna work.  His name is
David Gottschalk, KN4ZKT and lives just south of Clayton. He has been
doing some SOTA operations and is going to get on 2m with a TS-2000.
He was using a vertical but I managed to  work him this week.  He has
monitored the Monday night 2m net also.

The 2m EME antennas are back up and ready.  Johnny, Rick and David came
on Saturday, Dec 28 and changed out the rotator.    The elevation
rotator seized during the September contest and we had to change it
out.  I had a guy who works for me part time put the scaffolding up the
week before so we only had to put the walk boards on that Rick brought
for us and get the job done.  It is so much easier and safer to do the
job  off the scaffolding.  Haven't had time yet to look at the rotator
we took down but will sometime.  We just put another rotator that I
usually use for 432 EME up in it's place since I wasn't using that one
right now.  I have copied EME sigs off the moon on 2m a couple of days
later but I still need to dial in the tracking a little better before
the contest.

Speaking of EME, we are planning to be up on 4 bands now for EME. 2,
222, 432 and 1296.  Johnny is setting up and testing the 1296 station
at home and will bring it up here this weekend and we'll get the new
antennas set  up with Az-El.  It doesn't look like moon conditions will
be good for the contest but we will give it a try anyway and see what we
can do on 1296 and the other bands too.

Update on the 222 station.  I finally found the problem and it was not
the amplifier like I suspected.  Turned out to be a broken power supply
wire to the T/R relays that was causing the problem and making the amp
kick off which made us think it was the amp.  Anyway, I know the innards
of that amp very well now and gave it a good cleaning before I put it
back together.  I did some modifications to the sequencer, made some
custom length cables to help reduce the rats nest and finally got it all
back working today.  I was on the air for an hour tonight on 222
chatting with KC4AAW, N4QH and WA4NJP.  750W out of the amp.  They all
said the signal and audio were good.  Running with the Flex 1500 and
that will be on for the contest for voice, cw and digital.  Hoping that
Brian will be able to come for some of the contest at least.   So 222 is
ready for the contest.

Ron came up Monday afternoon and we put up the 432 antennas.  We also
tested Jim's 9700 and tweaked the oscillator frequency.  Ron is working
on integrating it into his 432 station for the contest.  We really want
to see how the 9700 performs.  We've had it on 2m for the CQWW but
didn't have an opening for enough Q's to really get a feel for it.  And
we had it on 1296 terrestrial for the September contest, again with just
a few Q's.  I've had it here but with all the other work I've had, I
just haven't had time to get it on the air much or to do some A/B
testing against other radios.  I did use it a number of times for the
Monday night 2m net and also called the net one night for Ray.  Anyway
we'll get some time with it on 432 now.  I got on with Ray on 432
tonight with one of my radios and a brick amp.  The beacons are blowing
in here on the antennas too. Ron will bring his station up sometime
before the contest when he gets everything going.

Another good news item.  Rick came up a few weeks ago and we put the new
water pump on the generator, checked it for leaks, flushed out the old
anti-freeze and put in new fresh anti=freeze.  Probably the first time
since Brian got it.  Anyway, it's running fine now.  We also had to get
a new battery for the generator, put that in today and test ran it again
for a while.  So finally we think we are done and it's ready to go for
the next contest and field day.  I will keep running it periodically to
test and keep the battery charged.

The 6m station is still set up from January and I use it weekly to check
in to the Monday night Buzzard net most weeks.  Ready for the contest.

Kos's 2m station is still here from the January contest and he'll get it
set up the morning of the contest and there should be no issues there.

There you have it.  Things are going well.  Looking forward to getting
together for lunch at Rooster's 11:30 on the 18th and then all of us
coming back here to get the contest started.   Those of you wanting to
spend the night don't forget to let me know.  I only have a few
reservations so far.  And Jerry will be cooking so that should be a good
drawing card for the contest too.

73, Bob