[FRC] More sad news

Ed Moody emoody@epix.net
Mon, 14 Jan 2002 11:07:15 -0500

Happy New Year to all!
I, personally, am really sad to hear about Dawson. He put out
the word many years ago that if somebody would set up a
contest DXpedition, he would fly them down. I took up the
gauntlet and worked with HK0BKX, who many of you
"older" fellows will remember, and we set up HK0COP.
Lots of stories came out of that trip but the one I will
remember the most was Dawson telling us when we were
amplifiers. Chris, his co-pilot, took him aside and told
us while he was missing to load three of the amplifiers,
which we did. Dawson was a little unhappy when we
got to San Andres and he watched the amplifiers
come off the plane (where the landing had to be
aborted once on a fly around because of the goats in
the runway).
I was also fortunate to make several trips to the
Caymans with Dawson where he and I would
operate multi-single with his ZF2AD call. Got lots
of stories from those operations but would probably
make a better club presentation.
Finally, many of you may not know it but Dawson
was one of the best stunt pilots of all time until
Maryanne threatened to leave him if he didn't quit.
I believe he was about 55 when that all occurred.
His origional stunt plane, which he built himself,
was hanging in the Smithsonian at one time. I would
assume it is still there but haven't been there for many
years.
Just a couple of stories everyone might find interesting.
In the 8 or 10 years that I spent significant time with
Dawson, I have many more. Probably should write a
book.
Ed, N3ED