[Hooper] Francis Hooper

Lynda Hynan lyndah at cox.net
Wed Jan 23 15:01:10 EST 2008

Ann, Verdaine and listers:
I was just reading  thru my files when I noticed something that might be able to tie together some of the KY Hoopers.
Ann sent an emIl re the Hoopers in Pontotoc MS in 1850 and 1860 that mentions that Francis Foster Hooper Hooper born about 1812 married in Marengo Co AL in 1843. He later went to TX. 2 census records list his birthplace as KY. As of yet he is unconnected to his birth family.
This may fit him in as the son of Ennis Hooper of Caldwell Co KY born in 1788 in NC (said by another researcher to have been born in Haywood Co but I have not been able to prove this).
Caldwell KY Ennis' wife left him in early 1830's and went to AL to live with her brothers. There was an extensive investigation by the court as to whether Ennis should be granted a divorce. He received it in 1834. On the Hooper divorce records (recently posted on Brenda Joyce Jerome's blog) Ennis' son Francis attested to the veracity of his father's testimony. Ennis and Elizabeth Wood were married in 1811. Another son, Enoch B. Hooper, was born ca 1813. Could this Francis be the eldest son of Ennis? And could the Marengo AL connection be just another link to the Enoch whose family settled there?

I believe that there was also a Francis Hooper who fought for the Confederacy in AL.