[kids] Kids Day Contest Log and comments

Robert Naumann n5nj@worldnet.att.net
Sat, 21 Jun 1997 20:02:31 +0100

The day began reinstalling the 20m dipole that blew down in 70+ mph winds
earlier this week.  I also rebuilt the GAP vertical so we'd have an antenna
on 40.

I asked both of my kids if they wanted to operate the contest and Emily(10)
said yes, Tim(8) said no.

We decided to use our club call, N5YY.  This is exactly why I got that
call.  Our rig is a Kenwood TS940S, a 30L1 running about 500 w output to
the previously mentioned dipole up at about 20 feet.  It is tied to the
tallest tree on my property.  This height is typical for trees around here
for those of you who have normal trees like we had in NJ at my old place -
70 to 90 feet.

Emily was enthusiastic, but the activity at the start was not too good for
us here in North Texas.  She did have a couple of pileups, but they were
followed by lulls.  She noted that people all call at once then go away.
We also ran into several nets around 14.280.  Every comment was that the
frequency had been in use for several hours and could we qsy.  I honestly
listened for longer than I normally would in a "real" contest before
telling her to go ahead and of course heard nothing until after Emily
called CQ.  Oh well.

Later on, my son had 3 of his friends come over to go swimming.  Emily
decided she'd rather go swimming with them than operate.  Hmmm....  Note
the abrupt stop in her log at 2025.  After they left and she got on for
almost the last hour or so and worked several more.

I think she had fun.  We heard no one on 40m at all.  Maybe 15 should be
the alternate to 20m ?

Here's her log:  54 QSOs all on 20m SSB  Emily is 10 and her favorite color
is purple

18:00 20m SSB KA6AWG George CA
18:03 20m SSB N9ZVS MARK WISCONSIN
18:12 20m SSB WM7D MARK CA BLU
18:13 20m SSB K7ZO SCOTT 39 ID GREEN
18:15 20m SSB K6XX SARAH 5 CA GREEN
18:15 20m SSB N2ODU DAVE NY
18:18 20m SSB KO7X ALAN 53 UT BLUE
18:19 20m SSB VE3RQS ROD 46 BLUE
18:20 20m SSB N7SK ERIN 6 AZ PINK
18:23 20m SSB K7YA CHARLES 10 AZ GOLD
18:29 20m SSB KB9NQD
18:43 20m SSB NJ3M JOE 69 PA BLUE
18:44 20m SSB N7LR REBECCA 5 AZ ORANGE
18:47 20m SSB N8YYS PAUL WV 13 GREEN
18:50 20m SSB KB7RTA JACK OR 9 BLUE
18:51 20m SSB N7LR REBECCA 5 AZ ORANGE
18:57 20m SSB KB8ZET MIKE 14 MI BLUE
18:58 20m SSB NORDJ DICK 63 ND BLUE
18:59 20m SSB K9IG GREG 34 IN BLUE
19:00 20m SSB N7DV JAY OR BLUE
19:03 20m SSB K7SJ OR
19:07 20m SSB KR7X HANK 50 OR RED
19:08 20m SSB KF6AMR DAVID CA 13 ALL
19:28 20m SSB KM6TS PAUL
20:02 20m SSB K0RF KIM 5 CO PURPLE
20:03 20m SSB KA9EKJ GREEN AL ARIN 7
20:05 20m SSB KA9EKJ GREEN AL TYLER 5
20:07 20m SSB N7PBH PAT ID 37 ALL
20:10 20m SSB W7EAA SAM TEKOA WA
20:14 20m SSB W7USA RAY AZ 47 YELLOW
20:15 20m SSB KT4RJ STEVE FL 28
20:19 20m SSB N4BLO HARRY FL 88 GREEN
20:25 20m SSB K4FXC CLEM 14 BLUE KY
22:48 20m SSB N0DQV FRANK CO
22:58 20m SSB AE2T BRIAN 9 NY BLUE
22:58 20m SSB K6LL DAVE 53 AZ RED
22:59 20m SSB KK5DB DENNIS NM
23:01 20m SSB WA6BFG LOREN CA
23:05 20m SSB W6YJ JAN PURPLE 9
23:07 20m SSB W6AB PINK SCOT VANDENBERG AFB
23:12 20m SSB KA9RRR ED IL
23:15 20m SSB KE6YNR TONY CA
23:22 20m SSB KA7KSI NORM UT RED
23:23 20m SSB W6LAB/M CA 62 RED BRYCE
23:26 20m SSB N1XSE MA KELLEY
23:28 20m SSB WO4S DAVE 32 AQUA VA
23:30 20m SSB WA7OWF HARLAN 48 RED WA
23:31 20m SSB PY7CPC PERES RECIFE  BRAZIL
23:41 20m SSB KB4KUO KAITLIN FL 7 PINK
23:47 20m SSB KE6WFV BOB 50 CA PURPLE
23:49 20m SSB WB7TJK NILS WA
23:53 20m SSB N7LJH BILL WA PARISE