[kids] Kids Day Contest Comments

dr kg0us@swbell.net
Mon, 05 Jan 1998 22:48:55 -0600

Hello Fellow Contesters,

Rebecca KB0VVT and I had a lot of fun during the CQ Kids Day Contest.
We almost missed it however because we had no information about it.
Luckily, a friend e-mailed us the information a day before the contest.
I would like to suggest that the contest be held four times a year
instead of just two times.  Young people’s attention spans are so short
and a contest every three months would keep them sharp and will help
them become more familiar with the contest and radio operation.  I am
now 38 years old, and I can remember summer vacation seemed like a year
when I was in grade school.  One other thing, it would be great if the
events were on the ARRL contest calendar and advertised elsewhere.  This
way more young people can become involved and "old guys" will have a
better chance to know what is going on when they hear the young people
operating.

Rebecca found a clear frequency and began operating on 40 meters at
about 18:30z.  We were careful not to get too close to the "old guys"
operating nearby.  I did not want to ruffle any of the "old guys"
feathers and have them go berserk.  Unfortunately,  I have heard this
kind of behavior before during contests especially on 75 meter phone.
Fortunately, my daughter has never experienced this and I am always with
her to supervise when she is operating even though she is licensed.  She
called CQ for nearly a half hour without any luck.  We were hoping to
start off on 40 meters to pick up the close-in stations such as Jim N9JF
with the Liberty Radio Explorers and Jason N5NU.  I decided to look
around on 40 to see if we could find any other station participating in
the CQ Kids Day contest.  Not hearing anyone, we began to panic thinking
we somehow missed the contest.  We quickly switched to 20 meters and the
air came to life with the sound of young people.

Hearing the young people talk, with the adult voice coaching in the
background, brought back memories of my wife and I doing the same thing
after Rebecca earned her General and began operating HF SSB.  Until the
CQ Kids Day contest, We never understood what the problem was with some
people not understanding Rebecca when she first began operating.  Those
young high pitched voices sometimes do not mix with SSB.  Call signs can
be particularly difficult to pick up on.  Do not worry and become
frustrated kids,  you will grow older and your voice will become more
compatible with SSB.  Remember, you will most always sound great on FM
or you can learn the secret code and operate CW.  A tip to the adults
coaching the young person:  After the very young child has tried two or
three times to give the call sign with out luck, have them key the
microphone then you sneak it in real quick.  This will lower the
frustration level that may arise.

The "old guys" did a very good job with the young people.  There did
seem to be an excessive amount of tuning up on some of the frequencies
towards the end of the contest.  Although, I do not know if it was
malicious or not.  Overall, it was great to hear all the young people
talking together and having fun.  Perhaps some will exchange postcards
or even QSL cards.  I hope half of them can earn at least the Technician
license real soon.

Best Regards,
Dave KG0US
Barbara KG0UT