[kids] KID'S DAY 2000 AT VE3SRE

Bob Chandler, VE3SRE ve3sre@rac.ca
Tue, 1 Aug 2000 00:47:39 -0400

Hi!

I'd like to express my thanks to the Boring Amateur Radio Club
for putting on Kid's Day.

I setup at my in-laws place in Cannington, Ontario a small town
about 60 miles northeast of Toronto where I had my two nieces
Jenifer (age 11) and Julia (age 9) operating in Kid's Day.

Jenifer and Julia really enjoyed themselves taking turns at the
mike working stations.  For the two of them it wasn't their first
experience at amateur radio....and in fact the younger Julia is
so enthralled with amateur radio that I had took her to Field
Day the following weekend where she was "running" stations
on 40 meters for a good two hours straight!!

A couple of small suggestions...would it be possible to
expand the activity to the 40 meter band?   Its a little easier
to put out a "decent" signal on a quickie antenna thrown
up in the trees then it is on the higher bands where one has
to compete with beams and amplifiers to be heard.  If I'd
been operating from home it would have been no problem...
but portable it was a little difficult...as sometimes we were
quite weak...and other times the stations we were working
weren't that strong due to the absorption at this time of year.
I was just running barefoot using an AEA Isoloop antenna
that was about 15 ft. off the ground....it was the quickest
antenna for the "high bands" that I could put up.

Another suggestion would be to put Radio Amateurs of
Canada on your mailing list.  I found out about "Kid's Day"
in "QST" but not everyone up here in Canada reads "QST"
and I'm sure there would be tremendous interest in participation
up here.

"The Canadian Amateur" only publishes six times a year
now so you have to get info to them very early now to get
it into the magazine.

Again, my sincere thanks to everyone for organizing this
event.   Jenifer and Julia had a wonderful time and look
forward to doing it again next year.

I'll be sending my SASE in the snail mail to get the certificates.

73 de Bob Chandler VE3SRE
           924 Greenwood Avenue
          Toronto, Ontario
          M4J 4C1