[kids] June 17, 200 Kid's Day Participation Report

Stephanie Phillips K4MVO@Titustek.com
Fri, 04 Aug 2000 10:09:49 -0400

         On the afternoon of 07/16/00, eight (8) youngsters joined my
husband, Hank (AA4HP) & me (K4MVO) in the shack for Kid's Day.  The kids
used my call sign, K4MVO, and probably made two contacts each.  I greeted
the parents and explained the activities while Hank worked with the
kids.  Although I had a log sheet for use, in all the confusion we failed
to complete the log after the 5th contact.  (We don't have any of our own
children so 8 in the shack was a real challenge for us!)  My concern is
that the children we contacted get "credit" for their contact with us.  I
know each child contacted NX6T at least once.  Also contacted were: KA7CWS,
KB4EKD, KC5OEG, ZL1UX.  All contacts were SSB, on the 10 meter band:
28.360, 28.361, 28.377; between 1900 - 2015 hours zulu.  We were using only
100 watts.  The following children participated from our QTH:

Josh Anderson
Megan Anderson
Christina Hurkala
Anthony (A.J.) Hurkala
Gavriel Merkado
Raffi Merkado
Jason Woodring (now KG4IMO)
Sara Warren

         A few of the kids had such a good time "on the air" that they
joined us a week later for Field Day activities.  What a joy it was to see
their faces light up as they made a contact with someone across the country.
         I'll be teaching "An Introduction to Amateur Radio & the Morse
Code" this Fall and I'm looking forward to having some of the same kids in
my class.  Jason, 17 years old, just passed his 5 wpm code exam and he has
promised to help me with the younger students.  He speaks their language!
         I have challenged the other members of my club, the Titusville
Amateur Radio Club (TARC), to participate in the next Kid's Day On the
Air.  And as president of the Brevard Emergency Amateur Radio Services,
Inc. (BEARS), I'm taking the message to the other communications
organizations and clubs in Brevard County, Florida.  "What a great way to
introduce the younger generation to the enjoyment of ham radio!"
         Thank you so much for sponsoring this fun and rewarding
activity.  Hank & I are looking forward to the next event.  You have my
permission to use my "contest participation report" as an example of how
not to keep the logs! HiHi!  We'll be more prepared next time!
         I'll be sending a 9x12 SASE to you soon for the children's
certificates.  Again, thanks for sponsoring such a wonderful event for the
kids.

Stephanie, K4MVO

--
FAQ on WWW:               http://lists.contesting.com/kidsfaq.html