[Kids] W1AWKids' Day Participation

Spencer, Mark ,WA8SME mspencer at arrl.org
Mon Jun 23 10:03:47 EDT 2003

We had the honor of putting W1AW on the air for Kids' Day activities.  Andy, AB1BA, a local young ham participated with Mark, WA8SME, a not so youthful ham on the ARRL staff, to make over 85 contacts with stations in 25 states and 4 countries.  Over 50 youth were contacted around the United States and they shared a little about themselves as the world listened in to the conversations.  The level of activity was a pleasant surprise considering the marginal band conditions.  Additionally, those stations contacted who were not directly involved with Kids' Day activities also provided insight into their interests in helping youth to get involved in science and ham radio for everyone listening.

Overall, I considered the event and our participation a success!

(the pictures attached are of Andy, AB1BA at one of the operating locations of W1AW talking with another youth somewhere in the United States)

Mark Spencer, WA8SME
Project Coordinator,
ARRL Amateur Radio Education & Technology Program
ARRL Headquarters
225 Main Street
Newington, CT 06111-1494
(860) 594-0396