[Mldxcc] WX6V SS Follow-Up

Jim Venneman wx6v at msn.com
Wed Nov 19 22:58:50 EST 2003

Hello fellow contesters,

For those of you who read my story for this past SS Phone weekend, here is a little follow-up.

My son's surgery went very well yesterday. He is already out of pain and now has to spend four weeks with his right foot and ankle in a cast. That is bad news for any 20-year old male (no driving) - but he does enjoy being spoiled while we all take care of him.

However, I am sad to say that my Dad passed away yesterday. Actually - that was a good thing because he had been very ill for some time and his suffering is finally over. I won't have to go to Ohio after all because his will stipulated that there be no funeral or memorial service. So - I took several days off of work to bereave at home with my family. My step sister and her husband are there in Ohio to assist my step-mother with things.

Upon reflection - being in the SS Phone contest ended up being great therapy for me. It took my mind off of the fact that I couldn't do anything about my situation and helped me to engage in an enjoyable activity instead of sitting at home worrying. My thanks again to Rick & Karen Samoian for being both great hosts and sounding boards for my varied emotions over the weekend.

Jim  -WX6V-

P.S. - I'm really enjoying reading the comments about this past weekend's event. I don't ever recall seeing so much excitement about a contesting event on this reflector. All I can say is - way to go Rusty, Bill, and the rest of the NCCC leadership that helped pull this thing off!