[Mldxcc] [NCCC] CQ 2007 DX Marathon Score

SHIRLEY ROSE rosesl at prodigy.net
Sun Jan 20 19:10:57 EST 2008

Jim,
    Could you please confirm that you can give Phase I of your presentation this coming Saturday (26 Jan).  Also, please let me know if you need toe club to provide anything.

  Thanks again,
  Shirley

Jim Brown K9YC <k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com> wrote:
  Hi Shirley,

I'll have to check my schedule when I get back home. 26 Jan probably works. Just to clarify -- each of the two presentations is at least 90 minutes.

73,

Jim

--Original Message Text---
From: SHIRLEY ROSE
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 10:40:07 -0800 (PST)

Jim,
Thank you for your offer. Based upon scheduled contests I see our spring meeting schedule as 26 Jan, 23 Feb, 15 Mar, 19 Apr, 17 May and 24 Jun. Please let me know your preferred date for the presentation and I will get you on the calender. The MLDXCC meets at the Mountain Mike's Pizza at Martell (near Jackson).

As you will need 90 minutes it would probably be beneficial to all if you could do a Phase I and a Phase II at a later date. Please advise if you need the MLDXCC to provide any presentation aids.

We will buy you lunch and provide an attentive and appreciative audience.

Thanks,

Mr. Shirley L Rose--AA6K
Vice President, MLDXCC

Jim Brown K9YC <k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com> wrote:
I would be happy to do that. I need about an hour to present it so
that everyone understands it.

I have another presentation on RFI that leads into the common mode
choke concepts. It requires more like 90 minutes. That sounds like
a lot, but no one seems to doze off when I do it. So I could do
one for one meeting, the other for another meeting a month or two
or three later. Or, I can do the common mode choke presentation as
a stand-alone.

73,

Jim K9YC

On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 19:03:05 -0800 (PST), SHIRLEY ROSE wrote:

>Jim,
> An overview of the "tutorial on common-mode chokes" would
make a great presentation topic for a MLDXCC Club meeting.

> 73 de AA6K
> Shirl

>Jim Venneman wrote:
> Greetings,

>I decided to enter the CQ Magazine DX Marathon for 2007 in the
Unlimited Class. My final Score for 2007 = 239 countries + 40
zones = 279 points. Not bad for the bottom of the solar cycle. I
don't expect to even come close to competing for a top score in
this event in this class, but it was great fun anyway. Along the
way - I managed to pick up 14 all-time new countries, which has
pushed my DXCC total to 316/329.

>I have to say again that this was fun. It sure helped make the
year go by in a much more interesting way. For one thing - in
spite of the low sunspots, I worked DX entities during the year
that I hadn't worked in years (for example - my QSO with 4K5D
(Azerbaijan) was my first QSO with that country in almost 42
years!). For another thing - working "garden-variety" DX took on
much more importance. My QSO with GI3DZE on 12/8 ended many months
of simply missing this easy-to-work country.

>I should also point out that many QSOs during the year were made
at ESP levels, with stations that were fading up and down around
the noise level. Thanks, K9YC, for your tutorial on common-mode
chokes. Once I installed common-mode chokes on all four of my
feedlines last spring, my ambient noise level went down an 1-2 S-
units! I don't believe that many of those ESP level QSOs would
have been possible otherwise. Since my QTH is only a block away
from Highway 49 in Auburn, with all of the various businesses
located along the roadway, there are plenty of local noise sources
for me.

>Already looking foward to what 2008 has in store. Oh - and by the
way - Happy New Year to all!!