[Mldxcc] [NCCC] Shack computer advice

Rick Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Wed Aug 25 18:18:02 PDT 2010

The argument against a laptop for a fixed station is as follows:

1.  Can't install a real serial port card to talk to rotators,
SteppIR antennas, etc.  If you manage to do everything over
USB, it isn't clear that you can unplug all USB's from the
laptop and later plug them in again, without going through
a cumbersum "installation" procedure.  Devices that claim to
be USB, but actually just have USB to serial port adapters
inside are the worst of both worlds.

2.  Can't install a 192 kHz sound card for SDR work.

3.  Doesn't support 3 or 4 monitors.

4.  Can't power up remotely (for remote bases).  Locust
ran into this.  He had to have a button pusher constructed).

Yes, that means you need to buy both a desktop and a laptop.
There are many advantages to having 2 independent computers
anyway.  I often use the laptop in the shack at the same time
as the desktop in the shack.

Rick N6RK