[Mldxcc] [NCCC] Shack computer advice

CATFISHTWO at aol.com CATFISHTWO at aol.com
Wed Aug 25 18:36:17 PDT 2010

I actually prefer the big box computer for the shack and a laptop for use
at "other " venus, like in the pickup mobile and such.

I actually accidentally ended up with 3 monitors on my radio computer, (
long story)  but I would feel lost now with any less.  Most of the  time I
use only one monitor, but in a contest I put the logger on the  "main"
screen, the secondary logging screens on the #2 screen and then  stuff like my
email, and stufff like that ( non contest stuff) on the third  monitor.

I have made due with serial to usb converters and find the Keyspan HS  19
the only one that pretty much  to work  with most all   devices..  I wish I
had a couple more open slots in the box  to add  some real serial ports.
Perhaps some day the ham folks will start putting  usb ports on the ham gear.

As far as operating systems, most of my multiple machines run XP . and I
can get around there pretty well.  I use a slightly older laptop for my
mobile stuff, its not as fast as the newest laptop, but runs XP so I am more
comfortable with it..  the newer laptop has vista on it and I am not so  good
getting around there so I use the older laptop , it does ok for mobile
stuff.

Tom
N6AJR

In a message dated 8/25/2010 6:18:17 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,