[Mldxcc] 35 mile club radius--possible change to club center?

Richard Hill rehill at ix.netcom.com
Mon Jun 14 18:52:19 PDT 2010

There was a short discussion of recent contest results listing MLDXCC as
a small club and whether our club center was where we need it to be.  I
did a review of the 175-mile radius a while back and we have a image of
the 175-mile radius in the Nugget.  Pine Grove is a good 175-mile radius
for MLDXCC.  We have been entering in the medium club category to be
able to include most, if not all, active club members and we do well.

The question raised was whether the 35-mile radius from Pine Grove is
good.  AA6K noted that he was out of the 35-mile radius.  NU6T, W6RFF,
N6RK, WX6V and KF6T are all out of the Pine Grove 35-mile radius.  While
you could easily miss NU6T's scores, there are some big guns that will
not be included in a small club entry.  Is there another club center
that could include more big scores without losing big scores we now include.

One option is to use a center south of Rancho Murieta to bring AA6K,
N6RK, WX6V and KF6T into the 35-mile radius.  That location is 38.466 N,
-121.1W.  You can see the effect of this center by plugging the numbers
into GPSVisualizer and zooming in on the resulting map:
http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/calculators .  Scroll down the page to find
the radius calculator.  The output is a Google or other map you can
select.  Be sure to change the radius to "35mi" and include a minus sign
infront of the "121".

We lose stations south and east of Calaveras County Airport such as
Copperopolis, Angles Camp and Murphy's.

Twain Hart, Sonora and Jamestown ARE in the Pine Hill radius but not in
the Rancho Murieta radius.

I have images that can go in the Nugget if there is interest.  Should we
consider entering some contests as a small club?  If so, should we use
Pine Grove or another center?

Rich
NU6T