[Mldxcc] Club tax exempt status web site

Rich rehill at ix.netcom.com
Fri Oct 22 10:21:33 PDT 2010

We -may- need to address this issue.  It looks to me that we may need to
file for tax exempt status and file an annual e-notice.  It can be filed
for free through the Urban Institute non-profit tax reporting system--if
necessary.  We may be exempt due to a less than $5,000 annual budget. _I
don't trust web search tax advice <grin>. _

Info on the web is limited, but the following may be of interest:

http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,71233.0.html
List of Florida and Illinois amateur radio clubs in danger of losing tax
exempt status...it appears that many clubs did of do have tax exempt
status.

http://www.arrl.org/news/many-radio-clubs-could-lose-tax-exempt-status-in-2010
*ARRL information*
http://www.dirtypawwebsites.com/tax-exempt/ THIS MAY BE OUT DATED
INFORMATION.

    Limitations of This Document

    This document addresses both non-tax-deductible non-profit
    organizations, and tax-deductible non-profit 501(c)(3)
    organizations, but only those which meet the following criteria:

        1.  Non-tax-deductible non-profit organizations with gross
        annual receipts normally not more than $25,000.

        2.  Tax-deductible non-profit 501(c)(3) organizations with gross
        annual receipts normally not more than $5,000.

    You'll have to check with your state about state requirements. But
    if your club or rescue meets the above criteria, you'll find the IRS
    requirements very simple. Namely:

        1.  You don't have to file paperwork with the IRS to establish
        your tax-exempt status.

        2.  You don't have to file annual tax returns; only a simple,
        on-line form each year.

    Organizations with greater income will have more complex filing
    requirements, and should refer to the IRS resources listed below for
    further information.

    Disclaimer:  Do not take any of the information contained in this
    document as advice. This document is only to be used as a learning
    tool, and no guarantee whatsoever is made about its accuracy.

http://www.taxalmanac.org/index.php/Internal_Revenue_Code:Sec._6033._Returns_by_exempt_organizations
*IRS TAX Code*

I think the key legal issue is whether we normally have an annual budget
above $5,000.  See:

TITLE 26 - INTERNAL REVENUE CODE Subtitle F - Procedure and
Administration CHAPTER 61 - INFORMATION AND RETURNS Subchapter A -
Returns and Records PART III - INFORMATION RETURNS Subpart A -
Information Concerning Persons Subject to Special Provisions

Sec. 6033. Returns by exempt organizations (a) Organizations required to
file (1) In general Except as provided in paragraph (3), _every
organization exempt from taxation under section 501(a) shall file an
annual return_, stating specifically the items of gross income,
receipts, and disbursements, and such other information for the purpose
of carrying out the internal revenue laws as the Secretary may by forms
or regulations prescribe, and shall keep such records, render under oath
such statements, make such other returns, and comply with such rules and
regulations as the Secretary may from time to time prescribe; except
that, in the discretion of the Secretary, any organization described in
section 401(a) may be relieved from stating in its return any
information which is reported in returns filed by the employer which
established such organization.

(2) <snip>

(3) _Exceptions from filing _

       (A) Mandatory exceptions
            Paragraph (1) shall not apply to - <snip>

         (ii) any organization (other than a private foundation, as
    defined in section 509(a)) described in subparagraph _(C), the gross
    receipts of which in each taxable year are normally not more than
    $5,000, or _<snip>

A professional may have a different understanding....I'm not a tax
professional.

Rich
NU6T