[Mldxcc] NCCC Focus Contests

Jeff Stai wk6i.jeff at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 16:57:19 EDT 2014

On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 12:33 PM, Bill Haddon <haddon.bill at gmail.com> wrote:

> re RTTY roundup:  Will MLDXCC supply each participant with a* certified*
> RC (that's not K5RC. . but rather a Rubber Chicken)?   Jeff -- do you say
> "k5 rubber chicken" when operating from Tom's?

Well, at $6.95 per chicken that gets a little steep ;) I've never actually
said "kilowatt five rubber chicken" because 1) I use W7RN and not K5RC; and
2) phonetics is RTTY are silly. (But I have seen them!)

> see:
> http://www.arrl.org/files/file/ContestResults/2013/2013-RTTYRU-QST.pdf
>
> N6ZFO:  I can offer 75,000 RR points, more or less.  Possible stn upgrades
> by then could elevate to 100,000.   (you won't find me in previous RR
> listings).
>
> -- How could ARRL be convinced to rethink rules for club categories?  When
> a monster club like SMC downgrades to Medium it's a bit like having
> Starbucks open next to your local coffee house -- only worse.  How to reset
> those rules? Not easy . . the  CAC is often not influential.

The only reason a monster club like SMC came out on top in Medium club was
because they did not emphasize the contest and only got 28 entries instead
of the 50 that pushes you into Unlimited. I agree that an SMC should
probably always be Unlimited no matter what, and that being defined by the
number of entries is sort of a variation on the Prisoner's Dilemma. Asking
a member to NOT submit because it pushes you into Unlimited seems counter
to what we are trying to do. I don't know what rule to propose to fix
that....

If we could get 30-ish 50,000+ point scores, we'd kill the Medium category.

73 jeff wk6i

Jeff Stai ~ wk6i.jeff at gmail.com