[Mldxcc] ARRL 10 N1DID SO Mixed Mode Low Power

Jim Venneman wx6v at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 18 19:31:08 EST 2014

Hi Emi,

We haven't met yet, but I know that you are fairly new to contesting and I wanted to comment about being in the Assisted category. The main reason to run Assisted, from my point of view, is if your goal is to be part of a team effort and you want to maximize your score for that team. If your goal is something else, then running Assisted may not be the best choice.  I don't generally run single-op because I know that my fairly modest station is not going to compete well one-on-one with stations using better antennas, taller towers, or are just better operators than me.

That said, I run Assisted almost all of the time for either NCCC or MLDXCC. I let my logging software, spotting assistance provider, and spotters locate new multipliers and stations that I haven't worked yet and throw them into my bandmap. I use N1MM, which shows new mults in red and sometimes green, depending on the contest, and stations that I haven't worked yet but wouldn't be new mults in blue. Stations already worked show up in grey. I've figured out a way to maximize running Assisted which I would be glad to share with you if you're interested.

As for telling whether or not running Assisted improved your score, the only way to do that is to compare your results with others that made about the same number of contacts using the same power level that you did. By running Assisted, you should normally have more mults than another station running Single-OP Unassisted that made the same number of contacts.  More mults translates into a higher overall score given the same number of contacts at the same power level. You can look at the results posted on the club reflector to do that. Otherwise, you need to look at scores posted on the 3830 reflector or wait until the official results come out and compare your line score with those of other stations. If you find that by running Assisted, the number of mults that you worked was about the same as unassisted stations with around the same number of contacts, then you may benefit from tips and tricks on how to change that dynamic when running Assisted to
 improve your overall score.

Best of luck to you in the upcoming contests.

Jim
-WX6V-