[Mldxcc] Fwd: [NCDXC Chat] Propagation widgets for Heard Island

Verne Terwilliger verne.terwilliger at gmail.com
Thu May 15 14:09:05 EDT 2014

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Rick Bates, WA6NHC <happymoosephoto at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, May 15, 2014 at 10:48 AM
Subject: Fwd: [NCDXC Chat] Propagation widgets for Heard Island
To: Verne Terwilliger <verne.terwilliger at gmail.com>

Please forward to the MLDXCC list, I don't have that email on this device...

Rick, WA6NHC

iPad = small keypad = typos = sorry ;-)

Begin forwarded message:

*From:* Stuart Phillips via Chat <chat at ncdxc.org>
*Date:* May 15, 2014 at 10:38:56 AM PDT
*To:* "chat at ncdxc.org" <chat at ncdxc.org>
*Reply-To:* Stuart Phillips <stu at ridgelift.com>

Folks,

 Here’s a sneak preview of the propagation widgets I’ve prepared for the
VK0EK expedition to Heard Island – these will appear on the VK0EK site
shortly.

 OF NOTE…

   1. There are two planned locations for stations on Heard – Atlas and
   Spit.  A widget is available for each site and note, Spit is the one that
   best favors the West Coast.  These is a significant difference between the
   two sites especially as it relates to take offs to W6.
   2. These predictions ASSUME that VK0EK will run 1500 watts on each band
   – this will require the dxpedition to get a special permit from the VK
   equivalent of the FCC.  As you will see, this is going to be critical to
   getting reasonable signal strengths on the West Coast…  knock off at least
   one S unit if they have to run 400 watts.
   3. Because of thresholding limits, any signal strengths less than S3
   don’t show up – I may change this for the Dxpedition widgets but for now,
   keep this in mind.
   4. Last but not least, gray line propagation doesn’t get factored into
   the VOACAP model so for low band operation keep this in mind!

Here are the URLs for the two widgets…

 https://k6tu.net/?q=node/add/dx-prediction-vk0ek-spit
https://k6tu.net/?q=node/add/dx-prediction-vk0ek-atlas

 73 es GD DX!