[Mldxcc] 2n2222 vs 4401? Opinions?

Emily Clarke n1did at comcast.net
Sun Nov 2 00:42:40 EDT 2014

I want to build a keyer from my computer, and I think having the key
avalanche fast to ground is more desirable than slow when building it.
I have both transistors and while I would have preferred to use a
darlington optoisolator, I couldn't get one.

So - going the transistor approach - which is better?  a 2222 or 4401?
I know they can all handle the switching but is there any advantage?

I'm using an Icom 746 - and I assume the keyer only wants to see ground.

thanks in advance,

Emi