[Mldxcc] FT4TA - West Coast Pilot Update #3

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Wed Nov 5 23:28:36 EST 2014

> ATNO
> The best opportunity for a Little Pistol station is either 17M CW or 20M CW, although they've been strong from time-to-time on 10M and 12M as well.  CW is easier for smaller stations with a modest antenna and low power.  Please keep watching the DX Clusters for spots on these Band-Modes, especially on CW.

I'd like to put in a plug for 30 meters.  Everyone is supposed to run
low power, and few have beams.  (Mainly the SteppIR Dream Beam crowd
are the only ones with beams.)  The propagation on 30 in my
experience with many DXPeditions is that the signals are usually
very strong and the opening lasts a long time.  The band seems to
be particularly good for near-antipodal paths such as Tromelin.
It is easy to make a 30 meter vertical out of one of those
30 foot collapsible fishing pole masts.  And of course, 30
is CW only.

Rick N6RK