[Mldxcc] Antenna (was Re: CA QSO Party Summary)

Emily Clarke n1did at comcast.net
Tue Oct 7 02:05:20 EDT 2014

On 10/6/2014 10:12 PM, Robert Hess wrote:
> Great job, Emi!  What are you using for antennas?

I decided to go with what I know best, and I used my buddipole. What I
found is that I could tune it for 15M and it was stable across the
entire band getting "Nice sound" comments across the country and in
europe.  I could move to 10M and it was stable from about 28.370 to
28.515 with east coast and AU stations still saying "big signal".  So
that worked out.

When I got bored I found  I could drop down work 20M from about 14.240
to 14.340.  But eventually around 6pm I did change the length of the
buddipole and tune it to 20M.  About 9pm I moved to 40M and made a lot
more contacts than I thought I would, mostly Nevada and California.

There was a guy in Texas I talked to a few months back who laughed
saying that putting 75 feet of LMR-600 UF to the base of my buddipole
was a waste, but I like it :-)  I get about 98W out at the antenna, and
it really works for me.

Emi - N1DID

PS - I plan on working Sweepstakes too but maybe not from my home QTH -
I also bought a generator and was thinking I may go to one of the parks
on one of the islands in the delta where there is less noise and I could
put up an 80m dipole or a v-beam.  Problem is I wouldn't have internet
connection there.