[Mldxcc] CQP N6ZFO 253,935 MLDXCC

Bill Haddon haddon.bill at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 01:27:33 EDT 2014

Regarding N6ZFO contribution of score to MLDXCC and the nature of the
in-state CQP club competition:

Al,  AD6E, wrote a very kind message congratulating me on the high CQP LP
score and thanking me for the MLDXCC contribution; my reply to him,
paraphrased and expanded, is as follows:

For 12 of the last 13 years, MLDXCC has won the in-state CQP competition
hands down.  De facto, it's not a competitive event. REDXA, the only club
to significantly compete (once), essentially gave up this year --  *and we
don't want that.*  . . . .They did not ask for my score but W1RH did.  So
it's "ask and you thou shalt receive."

I'll argue for a significant redesign of the in-state club competition to
allow any club of reasonable size to compete effectively. The fault is the
design model, not the individual clubs or their members. The current model
is pretty much the ARRL Sweepstakes Unlimited club competition on a CA
scale: that does not work very well.  I've asked Chris, N6WM,  to put me on
the committee for CQP-50.*  Competition needs to be real to be satisfying
and rewarding.*

As the inventor (in 2002) of the NS Ladder Sprint competition, now in its
eleventh successful year, I realize that there's an almost Luddite
resistance to change within ham radio.  I was repeatedly urged to "dumb
down" the NS and make it more like other contests so participants would be
more "comfortable" competing. We did not take that advice-- as a result we
still have a viable contest with a dedicated bunch of 100 or so who
participate regularly or ir-regularly on Thursday nights.

73 Bill N6ZFO
[Director of Thursday Night Contesting for NCCC]