[Mldxcc] How To Clean Your Electronic Gear: Use The Dishwasher !

John Miller webaron at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 18:47:57 EDT 2015

I have a little music recording studio at home, including keyboards, amplifier, external speakers, etc.   My 14-channel mixer is a Mackie 1402VLZ, which I've used for years without issues.
Lately it's been acting up.  Poor switch contacts, intermittent faders, dirty pots, etc.  I've tried dusting, blowing, and cleaning several ways, but never got it right -- until I saw this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I95Zo6x-qJM

Encouraged and feeling adventurous -- I negotiated with Celestine to use our dishwasher Saturday.  I placed the Mackie upside down on the top shelf, popped in some detergent, and set it on Pots and Pans -- Full Cycle.  Pressed start and walked away.  One hour later took out the still hot but gleaming mixer and set it out in the sun to bake for several hours.  Gave it a final compressed air treatment and plugged it in.

Wow.  Amazing.  Works perfectly.  No sticky switches or faders.  Balanced full output.  Sounds better than ever before.  And looks brand new.  The XYL was happy too -- mostly that I didn't ruin the dishwasher.

So if you've got a problem dust-collector and a little courage, give it a try.  Just be careful.

Can't wait to try this method with my K3.  : >)

73,
John, K6MM