[Mldxcc] Fwd: [NCDXC Chat] Heard on 160m from Bay Area

Rick WA6NHC wa6nhc at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 17:08:00 EDT 2016

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	[NCDXC Chat] Heard on 160m from Bay Area
Date: 	Wed, 30 Mar 2016 20:52:21 +0000
From: 	Stuart Phillips via Chat <chat at ncdxc.org>
To: 	Rick WA6NHC via Chat <chat at ncdxc.org>

One of the propagation tools I own is ProLab Pro – this is a
professional tool that performs ray tracing through a version of the
International Reference Ionosphere – in this case IRI-2007.  Unlike
VOACAP, this model works well at 160m.  The tool is excellent despite
limits with its plotting capabilities and consumers massive amounts of
CPU time to do extensive coverage maps.

I have used this tool to model Dxpedition performance and have then
compared the results against the logs of what was actually worked.  The
results from log analysis show very strong correlation with the model
output.

For my own amusement, I just ran an analysis for a specific circuit from
Heard Island to my QTH in Woodside. The results are most sobering

With the current solar and geomagnetic conditions from today, I modeled
the gray line propagation (which is modeled quite well by Proplab Pro)
at their sunset - using a quarter wave vertical antenna on a beach as
the TX antenna with the 400 watt VK power limit, with a vertical
monopole antenna as the receive side (-0.3 dBi gain over my ground) the
predicted signal level is

-118 dBm

Like most propagation predictions, this is a median value so sometime it
might be better than this or (if you can say it with a straight face)
sometimes worse.

Anyone who works VK0EK from the Bay Area should treat themselves to a
very good bottle of Champagne – the Gods of the Ionosphere are probably
never on our side from the West Coast but I fear their laughter may be
the only thing we do hear relative to Heard on TopBand.

 From working with over 40 Dxpeditions on antenna and propagation
planning, I’ve learnt the predictions are a good yard stick – surprises
(good and bad) still present themselves but the predictions are rarely
totally wrong.

Working VK0EK on 160m from the Bay Area looks extraordinarily tough.
Stu K6TU