[Mldxcc] 6 meter QSO

Bill Haddon haddon.bill at gmail.com
Mon Jul 24 20:29:33 EDT 2017

AD6E wrote:

​
I'm not denying that it's a good modulation scheme. I studied that stuff in
grad school back when it was not very practical.

The 1993 Nobel committee thought the techniques worked well.  Of course the
1993 Physics NP was awarded, not for weak signal detection methods, but
rather for the discovery of the binary pulsar by Taylor and his student
Hulse (both radio amateurs).  Taylor and Hulse predicted that gravitational
waves strong enough to be detected on earth are emitted by their newly
discovered binary pulsar.  I suppose the weak signal methods were crucial
in their work.  Their amateur radio backgrounds are mentioned in
biographical sketches submitted on their winning of the NP:

https://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics/laureates/1993/taylor-bio.html

https://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics/laureates/1993/hulse-bio.html

[Taylor, fortunately for all of us, continued to be interested in amateur
radio, whereas Hulse dropped the hobby).

Taylor and Hulse's discovery stimulated the building of large gravitational
wave detectors called LIGO's.  in the past couple years, gravitational
waves were, for the first time, detected by measurements in Louisiana and
Washington State, thus verifying another significant prediction of
Einstein's theory of general relativity, and really increasing the impact
of Taylor and Hulse's work.

In June a third gravitational wave "chirp" was detected by the LIGO
detector at Hanford, WA.  Details at:

http://www.astronomy.com/news/2017/06/x-ray-blast-produces-molecular-black-hole

73 Bill n6zfo