[Mldxcc] Looking for VEs or Ideas

Tyler Laursen tyler.laursen06 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 14:31:24 EDT 2017

Thank you so much for all of the replies everyone!

Sorry it took so long for me to follow up... I have been on the road out of
town for work. Finally getting caught up with my personal emails haha

I got lots of great information to go with and work with! You guys are
awesome!

Cheers!

Virus-free.
www.avg.com
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

On Sun, Mar 19, 2017 at 8:37 AM, K6ST Barry Bettman <k6st at arrl.net> wrote:

> By the way, there is a off road club here in the Reno Tahoe area called
> reno4x4 that has quite a few hams.  They may be a good resource for your
> own off road club.
>
> If there is anything else you need, please contact me.
>
> 73,
>
> Barry k6st
>

> On Sunday, March 19, 2017, K6ST Barry Bettman <k6st at arrl.net> wrote:
>
>> I am a ARRL VE.  We also have a large VE team here in Reno.  However,
>> often coming over  Donner summit from Reno in January can be quite dicy due
>> to the weather / snow.
>>
>> Take a look on ARRL website for VE's in the Grass Valley / Sacramento
>> area or contact the ARRL VEC for help.
>>
>> 73,
>>
>> Barry K6ST
>> https://twitter.com/barrybettman
>> http://www.linkedin.com/in/barrybettman
>>

>> On Sun, Mar 19, 2017 at 7:52 AM, Jerry Olive <jerryolive at comcast.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Technically the ARRL is the VEC, what you need is someone that will
>>> facilitate the exams.
>>>
>>> Jerry Olive KD6WKY

>>> 4Wheel Drive Association does a huge snow weekend run up in grass
>>> valley. In
>>> 2017, we had over 650 rigs. It still amazes me at how many offroaders are
>>> hell bent on staying with CB over FM for trail comms and emcomms. So, I
>>> coordinated a booth this past 2017 event where I setup 2 HTs, 2 Mobiles,
>>> and
>>> a Yaesu 857... all operational. I also had 2 laptops setup with ARRL
>>> testing
>>> information, repeaterbook. And a tablet with flashcards for the tech
>>> test.
>>> The goal of the booth was just to spread the information and benefits of
>>> ham
>>> radio for offroading situations.

>>> People loved it, but I found that there was a large number of people that
>>> are out on trails using their amazon purchased baofengs, doing simplex,
>>> with
>>> no license. Big Problem. I also had a number of people ask if I was doing
>>> the testing on the spot (which I was not). So, next year, I want to be
>>> able
>>> to get people tested that want to take the test... much like what goes
>>> on at
>>> Pacificon. I do NOT want to run a ham cram kind of thing with a test at
>>> the
>>> end. So, the VEs would only need to be there for Friday