[Mldxcc] Fwd: California Assembly Amendment to Permit Two Way Mobile Operations

Rick WA6NHC wa6nhc at gmail.com
Sat May 6 14:44:31 EDT 2017

    Subject:
    California Assembly Amendment to Permit Two Way Mobile Operations
    TO:  All Radio Amateurs and Registered Voters in California

    Very soon, the California State Assembly will be voting on AB1222,
    an amendment to the Law that was enacted January 1, 2017,  that made
    mobile radio operations illegal in this state.
    Many of the assembly members are laboring under the assumption that
    the language contained in AB1222 (present form), sufficiently
    resolves the issue and excludes two way mobile radio operations from
    the law that was enacted January 1, 2017 (AB1785). The Assembly in
    general may think the problem is solved.
    *IT IS NOT,* and we have sent communications to all 80 California
    State Assembly members on this issue, voicing our concerns that the
    language of AB1222 does not go far enough, insofar as completely
    clarifying and excluding mobile radio devices with corded
    microphones from enforcement to the existing law.
    *In the current bill as amended, the use of a "handheld device" (a
    microphone for example), can be cause for a citation, while
    operating a mobile radio while driving.*
    **
    **
    At this point, we have carried the effort about as far as we can.
    It is now time for all registered voters and parties of interest in
    the State of California to now become involved in this matter.
    We are asking that commencing this Monday, May 8, 2017, you contact
    your respective State Assembly Member (phone calls are preferred),
    and express your support for the Amendment to AB1222, that is being
    proposed by our ad hoc Organization:  " Amateur Radio Operators of
    California - Change.org.
    *(You do not need to be a licensed radio amateur to call and voice
    your support for our proposed amendment.  Your family, friends, and
    neighbors can do this too!!!)*
    **
    **
    Please go to the following link for information on locating your
    Assembly Member's contact information and telephone number.  There
    is also a short "script" that you can use when speaking with the
    receptionist, or other staffer, when you politely ask for their
    support of our amendment language:
    <http://www.no1pc.org/handsfree/index.html>http://www.no1pc.org/handsfree/index.html
    Earlier today, we heard back from a ham who called his rep... "I
    just talked to my Assembly person office in Sac. He said that the
    Bill WAS rewritten to specifically not include HAM and two way
    radios..."
    Again, the current amendment to the Bill is ambiguous and needs
    further clarification, which we have already provided in writing to
    all  80 Assembly Members. Our proposed edits can also be found on
    our website.
    If there are any questions, please don't hesitate to contact us.
    73,
    Jim Aspinwall - NO1PC (408-828-8100) no1pc at yahoo.com
    <mailto:no1pc at yahoo.com>
    Norm Lucas - WB6RVR (916-284-3737) wb6rvr at aol.com