[Mldxcc] [NCCC] Rotator Mounting Question

JVarney jvarn359 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 17:32:21 EST 2017

If you're going to pin a mast, the Sierra foothills are the place to do
it.  Not long ago I was researching the peak wind gust data that drives the
engineering standards and it turns out that the Sierra foothills from
Auburn south to Bakersfield is one of the most tower-friendly locations in
the United States.  Extreme high winds (over 60 mph) are very rare.
There's a weather station near Cool and the highest peak wind gust in the
last 10 years was only 50 mph.  The big exception to this is if you live on
a hilltop, a ridge line or at the edge of a bluff, then you will see high
winds due to the terrain speed-up effect.  Another exception are localized
freak gusts, like a thunderstorm microburst -- but again, the odds of that
happening on top of you are fairly small.

Interestingly, average wind and peak gusts are somewhat higher on the Sac
or SJ valley floor than in the foothills.  Of course wind gusts are very
high as you move uphill to the crest.

73 Jim K6OK