[Mldxcc] MLDXCC Statement to ARRL BOD

Dennis Moore dennis at mail4life.net
Wed Jan 3 20:09:30 EST 2018

This letter was sent to the ARRL Board of Directors on behalf of the
Mother Lode DX/Contest Club

To the ARRL Board of Directors:

The Mother Lode DX/Contest Club is an ARRL-affiliated club with over 120
members in California and Nevada. The majority of our members are
members of the ARRL, including a number of ARRL life members. Our
members enjoy contesting and chasing DX, and have several in our ranks
who have participated in DXpeditions across the globe. Our club hosts
the Contest Dinner at the Visalia International DX Convention which has
often been honored with the presence of ARRL board members.

We wish to express our support for Southwestern Division Director Dick
Norton, and voice our position on matters coming before the board at
your upcoming January 2018 Board of Directors meeting.

Dick Norton does not represent the area encompassed by our club. This
opposition to his censure is not based on geography. We would like to
think that we will support any other Director treated as unfairly.

As very active participants in the 2017 Visalia International DX
Convention, many of us were present at the ARRL Forum at which Dick
purportedly made statements bringing disrepute to the ARRL. To a member,
none of us present felt that any statements made by Dick were
derogatory, detrimental, or appeared to violate your recently adopted
“code of conduct” (ARRL Policy on Board Governance and Conduct of
Members of the Board of Directors and Vice Directors.) To the contrary,
the attendees were voicing their displeasure with the recent ARRL
action, which of course made Dick the target. His handling of the issue
in the face of vigorous complaint was above board and commendable.

The only disrepute brought to the ARRL was not through his actions or
words that day, but by his censure. Your attack on him brought attention
to a non-event and only served to highlight and reemphasize the
attention to your ill-conceived code of conduct. You discount his
support by attendees of the convention yet give credence to alternative
accounts which remain unheard and secretive.

Isn’t it nonsensical that we are kept from knowing what is happening
behind closed doors in an organization of which we PAY to be members?

We respectfully request that the Board rescind the censure and issue a
public apology to Director Norton.

To other matters:

We disagree with the proposal to give voting powers to non-elected board
members. The recent censure of Dick Norton along with disqualifications
of board candidates and the subsequent appointment of replacements have
an air of a coup. Even if there are valid reasons for the proposal, the
extremely poor timing of this is enough to give pause. By all
appearances, power is being consolidated within a select few.

We disagree with any measure that would allow the ARRL to summarily
expel a member, including life members. This appears to be an attempt by
the board to eliminate dissenting voices from positions of leadership.

We disagree with revoking the current right of a licensed spouse of an
SK Life Member to continue the life membership. As life membership is a
substantial cost it should be viewed as a gift to the ARRL from a ham
family. What do you gain by revoking that, annual dues for a few more
years? Has an examination of the actual cost of this been performed vs.
the loss of goodwill and likely loss of membership of the surviving
spouse? /“We’re sorry for the loss of your husband Mrs. Smith, we
appreciate him being a life member and visibly supporting the ARRL for
the past 35 years. Enclosed please find your bill for next year’s
membership.”/

For all other proposals or motions brought before the board at the
upcoming meeting, we urge the board to proceed with caution with an eye
to how those changes are going to be perceived, and if their supposed
benefit is worth the cost of the loss of faith in an organization that
has survived over 100 years /without /these changes.

Respectfully,

Mother Lode DX/Contest Club Board of Directors

Dennis Moore NJ6G, President

Steve Allred NC6R, Vice-President

Bob Hess W1RH, Director

Chuck Tifft W6RD, Director