[na-user] KB5UL Questions about NA/Omni-VI

dap14@chrysler.com dap14@chrysler.com
Fri, 13 Dec 1996 08:53:12 -0500

     Charles, KB5UL wrote that he was having problems using NA with his
     Omni VI.  While I am not an expert on using the radio with NA, my
     "callsign brother" N8CC is a devout Omni-VI user and is my "beta
     checker" for NA/Omni-VI issues.  He's not having any problems using
     NA10 with his Omni-VI.

     From the feedback I've received, here are some of the issues and
     resolution involving the Omni-VI (please note that I'm typing this at
     the office, so I'm working from memory):

     1) KM9P never could resolve frequency control problems with his
     Omni-VI that he had using all three major programs (NA, CT, TRLog).
     The problems seemed to involve the microprocessor software within the
     Omni-VI.  Ten-Tec would/could not address these problems so Bill sold
     his radio to someone who had no interest in the computer interface.

     2) KG5U and (I think) W7ZRC reported that the Omni-VI computer
     interface was sensitive to RF in Field Day environments.  Once again,
     this affects all programs.

     3) Warren, N2??? sent me a very detailed explanation how Ten Tec uses
     some of the pins on the computer interface connector for non-RS232
     accessories, and that if you wire the radio from the diagram in the NA
     manual (which includes these pins) it drives the radio nuts.  The
     secret is to only connect the RXD, TXD, and GND pins and the Omni-VI
     is happy.  (Warren, I apologize for forgetting your call.)  If N5UL
     needs more data, then drop me a line and I'll QSP the info.

     73, Dave/K8CC

--
Submissions:              na-user@ve7tcp.ampr.org
Administrative requests:  na-user-REQUEST@ve7tcp.ampr.org