[na-user]Lock Up on W9XT Card.

Tom Branch Tom Branch" <k4nr@earthlink.net
Mon, 14 Dec 1998 22:18:52 -0600

Hal,

Thanks for the note.

I did some testing and posted the results in a separate message, so I will
not repeat them here.

>I don't know is if the
>program is erasing the voice messages or if the silence means a memory
>pointer isn't pointing to the messages and all we are hearing is 'the
>unknown'.

It appears that sending CW effectively resets the card.  IMO this is caused
(based on other testing--see my previous post) by NA's use of the LPT port.
Since the CW is not stored on the W9XT card, but in memory used by NA, it is
not effected by using the card.  NA uses the W9XT card to interface with the
radio.  It's not much different than the single 2N2222A keying circuit
(conceptually).

I put my old 2N2222A keyer on LPT1 and the W9XT on LPT2--no problems.  I
don't want to have to disconnect the printer everytime I use CW.  I also
have an add-on LPT card, but not sure if it can be set up as LPT3 or not.
Seems this would be a work-around that I could live with until we get the
bugs worked out of this.

I note other users have the same problem using DOS 6.22--so I've ruled out
Windows 95.

>Do you know if NA fills all the message memory space with nuls
>before or after a read or write ?  It appears that NA must read the CW
>message (required in order to send) before the voice messages
>disappear.

It appears that the pointers for the cards memories are moved and parts or
all of the messages deleted.  I note if you play "message 1" sometimes you
will hear parts of the other messages in order--other times nothing.

What I don't know is if some people are _not_ having problems.  Seems it
would be consistent.

Both Gary and Dave provide first-class support for their products. Sorry if
I came on strong in Gary's defense--I've had nothing but good experiences
with both, despite the occasional bug.

73 de Tom, K4NR