[na-user] NA Use of Sound Cards

dap14@daimlerchrysler.com dap14@daimlerchrysler.com
Fri, 3 Nov 2000 10:16:07 -0500

NA is not designed to control a sound card to make noises like CW
sidetones.  The reason for this is that sound cards vary significantly in
their design and operation so it is difficult to get programming
information to make it happen.  In the Windows environment, programs
interface with a software driver provided by the sound card manufacturer
that offers a single method of control.

If NA were a Windows program, then it could control the sound card.
However, Windows would not allow it the precise timing needed to form CW...
:-(

My Dell laptop has Win95 for the operating system.  I run NA on it not from
a DOS window, but by jumping straight into the pseudo-DOS (same as pressing
F8 during bootup).  The regular beeper speaker correctly plays the CW
sidetone.

Dave Pruett, K8CC
DATOM Engineering

WWW:                      http://datom.contesting.com/