[na-user] using NA to send voice messages

k8cc k8cc <k8cc@mediaone.net>
Tue, 21 Nov 2000 12:28:21 -0500

At 10:36 AM 11/21/00 -0500, David Clemons wrote:
>I am a long time user of NA, and have it all set up to send the typical CW
>messages from the F1-F7 keys.  I nearly lost my voice about 2 hours from
>the end of SS, so I think it is time to set NA up to do the same for
>phone.  (I'm still having trouble talking - aren't phone contests fun?)
>
>I have a 486 DX 100, running DOS 6.22 (windows 3.1 is on the computer but
>commented out of autoexec.bat.  I have a SoundBlaster brand soundcard
>which I occasionally use for PED.  I presume the xcvr is not important in
>this discussion.
>
>What do I need to do to go from here?  Any helpful ideas would be
>appreciated.  If you send me private e-mail responses, I can summarize the
>results for the reflector (minus your names and e-mail     addresses.)
>
>73, Dave Clemons K1VUT
>dave@egh.com

There are two possibilities.

DATOM Engineering offers a product called Contest Voice Blaster
(CVB).  This is a TSR which runs on top of any DOS program, and can turn a
Creative Labs Sound Blaster into a contest voice keyer compatible with
NA.  CVB requires a real SoundBlaster card, along with a driver file called
CT-VOICE.DRV which is provided by Creative Labs.  The CVB documentation
shows a simple interface (a couple of small relays and some transistors and
resistors) which routes the audio signals to/from the radio to complete the
package.  CVB is available from Radio Bookstore 800 457-7373.

Kevin, W9CF wrote a driver that makes a sound card look like a K1EA DVP for
voice message playback.  The program is freeware - look at
http://fermi.la.asu.edu/w9cf.  He only claims it will work with TR-Log
(which is what he uses), but in looking at his FAQ on the subject but I see
no issues which would prevent it from working with NA.  I have not tried
this program, but it could be very slick.  In a note dated 8/2000, UA9CDC
reports it works perfectly with TRLog.

Since you have a older machine running DOS, this might be easy to set up.

Dave Pruett, K8CC
DATOM Engineering
datom@contesting.com
http://datom.contesting.com