[NA-User] Questions ...

Ron Wetjen wd4ahz@gte.net
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 10:32:26 -0500

I wrote:

> When I manually put a call in the band map while S&P'ing and it's a dupe
> ... it shows up as "white" (needed) in the band map.
>
> Also, if I run across a station, and type in the number ... and then I
> get the call (and it happens to be a dupe), it won't "alert" as a dupe
> ... only when there is nothing in the "rcvd" field.

Dave helped clear this up.  It only occurs when "QTH must match for
dupe" is turned on.  I turned it off, and everything worked OK.

As Dave explained:

"This is the unfortunate side effect of "QTH must match for dupe".  If
you have a callsign by itself, you cannot determine if its a dupe
without a location.  Without those two pieces of information, I cannot
come up with any logic which will not create some sort of false
condition (a dupe that's not, or an unmarked dupe).  It's worse with the
10M contest because domestic stations exchange QTHs and DX stations
exchange numbers.  Its one of the few contests where not all the
participant have the same exchange."

Thanks Dave!

NA 10.58 performed flawlessly (as usual).  Other club members are
cursing CT.  They'll never learn!

Ron