[NA-User] Using NA with Web Spots

Bob, N5RP n5rp at pdq.net
Tue Nov 18 08:24:56 EST 2003

I tried both systems on this end,
and found the DXTelnet setup to be a bit easier for me,
but that was me,
that was then,
the coffee that morning may have been a bit different from any other day,
and well, !?!?!?

The DXTelnet feed for spots that I use here at N5RP involves a pretty
simple setup,
and I am connected to the clusters 24/7 via a "throwdown" machine that
became too ancient for most other use.
It spits the spots into one of its COM ports, which then feeds the data to
the main radio (logging, etc.) computer here on the station desk
(regardless of whether the station desk box is on or off).
It involves three programs:
1. DXTelnet
2. DXTelnet UDP broadcast
3. DXTelnet > DX4WIN Spot Exchanger

The spots are always there when I turn on the radio desk computer, and the
spots feed for me when running NA, DX4Windows logging software, and pretty
much all other ham related communications software.

For all practical purposes, the connection to the Internet clusters is seen
just as a TNC by the various softwares I run.

I think what we see here by the comments is that either system will work,
and it is just a matter of what style of shorts you put on that day as to
which sets up is easiest for you to configure.

BTW,
The computer used for the Internet cluster connection also has the printers
connected to it so that my XYL and I can share printing within our home
network. The cluster connect computer and all others within our network are
well fire walled.

BTW-2
As always, once properly and happily configured, one should copy the
various programs with their parameters to a disk. As for me, my setup was
configured several years ago. No need to remember all that various and
unique setup stuff if it is needed so very few times in one's life.

73,
Bob - N5RP