[NA-User] System Requirements

Bob, N5RP n5rp at pdq.net
Fri Oct 31 07:28:48 EST 2003

If I understand all correctly, you will be fine.

At intergalactic communications facility N5RP,
I have an old laptop machine that never saw the dumpster connected to the
Internet cluster via DSL and networked home system at all times.

This laptop feeds Telnet spots from it's COM port "out" to an "in" COM port
on the machine that I have interfaced to the radios.

Although my arrangement is somewhat different than yours, I am using "in"
and "out" COM ports for packet spots and the "in" and "out" ports are on
different machines.

Of course, on the laptop which is putting the spots "out" to my radio
interface computer, I am also running two other programs at the same time:
1. DXTelnet UDP Exchange
and
2. DX4WIN Spot Exchanger program by IK4VYX.
These allow the spots to interface feed into the radio computer for the
programs normally run on the "radio" computer.

Spots are fed to the "radio" computer as though a TNC was on the "radio"
computer,
and the "radio" computer still has open access to the Internet for E-mail,
browser, etc.

The system performs 24/7 without flaw.

Is that what you were asking?

BTW,
Another old laptop that never saw the dumpster runs a map clock program
"World Watch" on a 24/7 basis,
instead of my having a $1,000.00 Geochron whatever type clock take up a
whole wall.

73,
Bob in Houston - N5RP