[NA-User] ICOM 738

David Pruett k8cc at comcast.net
Thu Jan 21 16:39:52 PST 2010

Jim,

Here are some suggestions:

    * A COM port (whether 25 or 9 pins) always has FEMALE pins on the
      computer's connector.  If the connector has male pins, it's an LPT.
    * COM port cables come in two varieties: 1) straight thru, or 2)
      null-modem.  The latter has the TX and RX data lines reversed.
      I'm assuming your're using a CT-17 Level converter between the COM
      port cable and the radio.  You have to have the correct cable or
      it won't work.  Straight thru cables usually have a male connector
      on one end and a female connector on the other end.  Null modem
      cables usually have female connectors on both ends.  But there are
      exceptions to this - the FT-1000MP requires a straight thru cable
      with female connectors on each end, and amazingly enough, Radio
      Shack sells such a cable.
    * If your IC-738 is used, you should check what CI-V address it's
      set for.  The default value is supposed to be 44Hex, which is what
      NA is coded to work with.  The procedure for checking/setting this
      value varies between Icom models.  Check your manual.
    * Get one of those little COM port tester thingies.  Stick it on the
      computer's COM port and you should see the TXD blink roughly every
      second.  If it isn't, you have a COM port problem or NA is not
      correctly set up to talk to that COM port.
    * What COM port number, COM port address and COM port IRQ settings
      are you using?
    * Has the COM port worked with any other programs?

Hopefully, this helps.

73, Dave/K8CC