[Nodxa] Fwd: Chesterfield Islands DX-pedition Update #10

Tedd Mirgliotta (KB8NW) kb8nw at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 8 20:31:29 EDT 2015

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Chesterfield Islands DX-pedition Update #10
Date: 	Thu, 8 Oct 2015 18:08:15 -0600
From: 	Do Not Reply <DoNotReply at tx3x.com>
To: 	undisclosed-recipients: ;

Oct 9th

The wind continues to blow with high intensity.  The tents are holding
up very well although the noise from the wind and shaking tents sounds
like a never ending freight train, all we're missing is the train
whistle. Fortunately, the RadioSport headsets provide a high degree of
noise blocking with excellent sound quality. The operator positions are
shaking along with the tent. This morning one op commented that he has
complete confidence in the tents -  as he was trying to get some sleep
last night the tent was shaking around him as it continued to withstand
the constant beating.  We had rain squalls for the first time last night
and at the moment it's raining, we're surrounded by clouds and the sea
is unsettled.

Walking to the antennas is a challenge because of the sand depth and
high wind.  The antennas are holding up very well. We're just a few
meters from the ocean on both sides, salt spray covers everything. We're
inspecting the antennas daily and washing salt build-up off the
insulators. To date, there have been no equipment or generator failures.
We've experienced high atmospheric noise levels, the Elecraft K3 noise
reduction system works extremely well.

We're receiving space weather reports, even the sat phone service was
impacted.  This morning even the skipper had problems downloading
weather maps.

We began taking unused and non essential equipment back to the boat
today. Our plan is to take down the stations first thing in the morning
Oct 12 (local). We expect it will take the better part of the day to
ferry equipment back to the boat and prepare to get underway. The
skipper will decide when to leave based on available sunlight and wind
conditions. We're surrounded by submerged coral so he must be able to
see the underwater obstacles to navigate to the open sea.

We know all too well the frustration some of you may be experiencing.
Propagation has been a real challenge, with unexpected openings
occurring during times we're working another geography. Yesterday I was
called by a W6 on 40 meters long past his sunrise. When we hear these
unexpected openings we take advantage of them.

And finally, we know there are PSK31 log entries that should be either
SSB or CW and a few other problems. We are discussing alternatives to
fix the log from the island.

We appreciate everyone's understanding. We can assure you, the
conditions in your shack are far superior to those on the island.

Team Chesterfield Island DX-pedition

--
This is an unmonitored mailbox.