[Orion] AGC Threshold

Richard Detweiler rdetweil at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 9 09:46:03 EST 2004

Hi Gary,

The AGC has a a two fold function, the first is as you have described,  to
attenuate higher level signals than the threshold,  The second is to
'increase' the level of signals less than the threshold,  So there is
actually an amplification going on to maintain a specific volume.

When the noise drops down as the agc threshold is increased,what is
happening, is the noise is dropping below the point at which the AGC will
try to amplify.

This is a Good thing,  because hopefully the weak signal just above the
noise is not below that point and it will then amplify only the signal of
interst,

Others here can better describe the function, but that is how I've
understood it.

Best 73's
Rich
K5SF