[Orion] AGC/NR Interaction?

Gary Tuck gtuck at mac.com
Tue Nov 30 21:43:31 EST 2004

Joe, I believe the manual states that you can expect the noise level to
  increase a bit in some circumstances when the NR circuit is engaged
  because the Threshold is lowered--the signal to noise level increases
  though. What I've found is that when I turn on NR, you can no longer
  effectively adjust the threshold level in the Rx menu. I may have the
  AGC set to Program adn Threshold at 20uv but when engaging the NR, I
  can turn the multi knob and the Threshold level numbers change but
  there is no change in the noise level, even at 191uv. So, it appears
  to me that the NR circuit makes a Threshold adjustment and then locks
  out the user from adjusting while NR is engaged.

  I have a strange interaction between the NR circuit and Sweep. If I
  turn off my rig with the Sweep engaged and then turn the rig back on,
  the Sweep will freeze every time I turn the NR off. I have to have the
  NR circuit engaged if I want to use Sweep . If I turn Sweep off and
  then turn the rig off and then on, the Sweep and NR both work and
  independently of the others' setting.

  Absolutely a great rig though. I played around in the CW contest in a
  bit of search and pounce for new ones, and I was continually amazed how
  close I could hear a station next to a s9+30db signal. If I turned my
hardware NB off, I often couldn't even tell a pile up was nearby without
  looking at the Sweep display.

  Gary